Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, February 5, 2010

Oops... (a bad hair cut experience)

So tonight, it was just me and the girls again... daddy had to work. So amidst the chaos that usually happens after dinner and baths (they get some weird sort of 2nd wind) I got the bright idea to cut my daughter's bangs. Now this is something that for the longest time I thought I would not do. I did not like having bangs when I was a kid. But that was probably because I have really thick wavy hair and for my bangs to look good I had to curl or straighten them. I never could just roll out of bed and have nice hair. No way. Not me. But miraculously enough, my little Gracie has hair the total opposite of mine. It's blonde and super straight. It's absolutely beautiful. I always envied girls with hair like hers when I was a kid (even though a lot of people envied my thick and naturally streaked wavy hair, it's just such a hassle to deal with). Anyways, back to the story... Her hair is always in her face. I put it up in pony tails and half pony tails all the time but she's a stinker and pulls them out after a couple hours. So tonight I made the split second decision that I would cut her bangs. All was well and I had the part all straight and I had measured the right length and she was being really good and still. So I went for it. Half way across her forehead things were going good... then she got a mischevious twinkle in her eye and before I could finish the cut, she twisted her head to the right at lightening fast speed! I'm sure you can imagine what that did to her new bangs. Totally crooked. So then in an effort to fix them I had to keep trimming them. Now, they look almost too short and they are still kind of crooked on the right. Great. I called my husband and he jokingly gave me a hard time about it. I kept staring at her the rest of the night trying to determine how bad the damage really looked. I tried different hair styles and found that putting her hair in pigtails looks the cutest for now. I'm sure I'm overreacting, but I feel so upset that I even tried to cut her hair! I should have just left it. I can tell that in about a week or 2 after it's grown a little bit that it's actually going to look very cute... but right now it's just a little too short for my taste. Of course she could care less and just kept saying "I look pretty mommy" (she says this when I mess with her hair too much). And she does still look very pretty. I just feel guilty for being somewhat responsible for her first bad hair cut. She's also a little responsible. That head turn was totally uncalled for! But what are you gonna do right? I know what I'm going to do from now on.... leave all hair cutting experiences to someone who gets paid to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment